As the saying goes “you get what you pay for”

Jewellery is often un-branded, therefore when judging by looks, it can be very hard to compare between two different manufacturers.

Just because you are getting a cheaper price doesn’t mean it’s a better price.

Here are just some of the sneaky tricks jewellers use that most consumers don’t know about.

Unbranded stones

There is still very little regulation in the moissanite industry, which means it is easy for low quality stones to flood the market, with customers not equipped to know exactly what they are looking at. We have seen many retailers selling unbranded moissanite stones which we have found to be far inferior in colour and cut, which heavily reduces the overall appearance of the stone.

It is not worth the risk of getting a low quality unbranded Moissanite just to save a few dollars.

Our difference?

At Cullen Moissanite, we source all of our stones from an Australian company Radiant Beauty. This ensures that all of our moissanite is of outstanding quality, is branded, and can be sourced to the manufacturer, meaning that we can confidently give lifetime warranties on all of our stones.

Manufacturing overseas

This is something that many jewellers fall victim to. In Australia more than 90% of jewellery is made overseas, with the majority made in China. Even jewellers with a workshop often only set centre stones and complete minor repairs, with all of their new rings made overseas. Australian made jewellery, however, is of a higher quality and is more socially responsible. Do your conscience a favour and buy jewellery that is made here in Australia, knowing you are contributing to fair working conditions and receiving a high-quality, long-lasting product.

“This should be concerning to you as mass produced jewellery is treated with far less attention to detail as our custom pieces.”

Our difference?

We pride ourselves on providing high-quality jewellery, which is made right here in Australia under fair work practices. By purchasing a piece of Cullen jewellery, you are contributing to Australian businesses and ensuring that you receiving an exceptionally high-quality product. 

Cheap gold alloy

When it comes to gold, we usually just assume that all jewellers use the same stuff, but in reality only 75% of your ring needs to be pure gold, while the remaining 25% is made up of other metals to add strength to the gold. Some of those metals such as copper and silver are very cheap alloys, as opposed to palladium, which is actually even more expensive than gold. Many jewellers will use cheaper alloys to save money, while compromising the ring’s integrity. A common example of this is nickel, which is often used in white gold jewellery as it is a much cheaper alternative to palladium. Nickel, however, is much more corrosive than palladium and can wear out in as quickly as 10 years! In short, your nickel based engagement ring won’t last a lifetime.

We have found many jewellers over the years resorting to using low quality alloys just to reduce their costs slightly.

Our difference?

We strive to only provide our customers with jewellery which will last a lifetime. That is why at Cullen jewellery, we ensure that all of our products are made with gold of the highest quality, such as palladium-based white gold, and we will never lower our standards on the quality of gold our customers receive.

Hollowed out gold

Often when competing on price, jewellers may hollow out the inside of a band to reduce the amount of gold required in the ring and highly reduce their costs. This compromises the strength and durability of the ring but it will look exactly the same on the finger.

The integrity of your ring is essential to keeping your moissanite safely set in it’s claws. A good jeweller should never cut corners or compromise durability.

Our difference?

Our products are crafted by reputable jewellers here in Australia. At Cullen Jewellery, the quality and integrity of your jewellery is paramount, which is why we never compromise on our standards just to save money. The most important thing to us is that you can enjoy your jewellery for many years to come. 

The moral of the story?

Don’t always look for the cheapest piece of jewellery. If it seems too good to be true, it usually is, and you will almost certainly be compromising on quality. It also contributes to a culture of jewellers cutting corners and using tactics which reduce the quality of their products, just to save a small amount of money. When you purchase high-quality, ethical, Australian made jewellery, you can be confident that your piece will hold strong and sparkle for a lifetime.